Thursday, January 12, 2017

Steak At Stake : A Food Allergy Story Written By Desiree DeNourie

As I was reading this book, I knew exactly what Cole was experiencing while trying to order foods HIS WAY at a restaurant.   I also have problems going out to eat and have run across some restaurants that could care less about food allergies.  It is sad, but I would rather not go out to eat than try to chance a restaurant getting my order correct.

I have been in Cole's shoes many times when eating out.  I once had a waiter ask my Husband if I was always this picky.  My Husband told him, I am not picky,.. I eat the way I do for health reasons.

It is becoming easier to find restaurants that are allergy friendly, but there are still some that just have no clue about allergies.... nor do they care.

I also have a 4 year old Granddaughter with food allergies.  She doesn't understand why she can't have certain foods.  Going out to eat with her is very hard.  I am hoping this book will help her to understand she is not alone.  There are other kids out there who have some of the same food issues that she has.

Come see what happens to Cole on the hungriest day of his life! Cole loves eating at restaurants, especially when steak is on the menu. The problem is Cole has many food allergies and sometimes people struggle with tolerance.

About The Author

As a mother of three active boys, Desiree keeps pretty busy.  Her youngest son was diagnosed with sever peanut, tree nut, and milk allergies when he was very young.  A few years ago she was inspired to write a story about what a typical restaurant visit gone awry could look like.  Fortunately, her family hasn't experienced many instances like the one depicted in this book.  Last year, she felt the need to reach out to others by beginning a blog. "Sharing Community of Food Allergies." Through this blog, and her book, she likes to raise awareness for food allergies, and educate herself and others.  Her book also explores important words you can find as part of a character education curriculum.  These words are: tolerance, respect, empathy, compassion, kindness, and good citizenshiip.  Perfect for Ages 4 through 11.

Desiree is a member of FARE, FAACT, Kids with Food Allergies, Freedible, and SCBWI.  Join her Goodreads group, "living with food allergies" to participate in discussions.  She enjoys making school appearances, and welcomes all to contact her through her author website www.desireedenourie.com.

You can  Buy Steak At Stake: A Food Allergy Story on Amazon 

2 comments:

  1. My sisters little girl has a lot of allergies to different foods. They have found it easier not to go to restaurants right now. Maybe one day they can go with no issues, but right now they have to watch very closely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear where they are coming from. I don't go out to eat as much as I would like to. Things are getting better though. Restaurants... or some of them are realizing there are a lot of people out there with food allergies and they better step it up.

      Delete